Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Whole Bunch of Islands

Okay yeah so
Last weekend I went over to Sasebo, a nearby city, and checked out the Ninety-Nine Islands with my host family. The city itself has a big American Navy port there and a ton of Americans walking around, or at least a lot more than I have been used to recently. I've heard it also has a Nike store there, which I will have to make my way back to check out, seeing as they are supposed to have shoes in my size because of the demand from the Americans living there.

Anyway. Ninety-Nine Islands. I don't believe that there are actually 99 of them, I think in Japanese it's just a way of saying "A whole bunch". They're pretty nice, though it seems like they'd be pretty annoying to navigate because it's just a bunch of tiny islands and shallow areas lining the coastline.

I took a boatride around one of the areas of the islands with my host family and took a WHOLE BUNCH of pictures. GOOD FUN. However, it was kind of an odd day; It was alternatively sunny and snowy all day long, and kept on changing on our hour-long boatride, so while taking photos on the deck I pretty much froze several times over.

But it was good! It was definitely fun, and I wanna go again later when it gets warmer. Afterwards we saw a whole ton of people at the docks having かき, or oysters. Turns out it was the last day of the season for them, and I guess everyone was getting what they could before they were gone for the year. I'm not such a huge fan of oysters so I had none, and I already had a HUGE Sasebo burger earlier, so I was full up.

Sasebo burgers are pretty much just burgers that some dude saw and thought, "Nah, I don't think that'll give me heartburn fast enough," and proceeded to put on various other meats, vegetables and a fried egg on top. And as questionable as that sounds, it was DELICIOUS. I wanted to get another to bring home, but I didn't. So that's that. Good story.

But yes. I mentioned shoes earlier, didn't I? I believe I did. Well, the reason why I'm bringing it back up is because I am a big fan of shoes. I love to get me a new pair of sneakers. So getting into Sasebo, the only place near me that has anything in my size, I was sure to get myself some shoes. Some tasty, tasty shoes. I am talking DELICIOUS WHITE NIKES. Air Force 1 mid, which I have been meaning to get a pair of for quite a while. I am not sure yet whether or not I will keep them pure white or if I'll paint them up to my own liking. Maybe I'll just let them get dirty and then clean them up to be painted. Anyway I'll figure it out.

So anyway. Not too much else to talk about. I went to an onsen, or hot spring, this weekend as well with a couple of friends. It was ridiculously cheap, like six bucks. Or at least I think that's cheap. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than anything else you could hit up in America. But anyway yes. Weird stuff in there. There was a sauna that you rubbed salt all over yourself that reminded me of getting a big slab of meat ready for grilling or ovening, if that word makes any sense to others.

So yes yes. I think that covers everything going on over here and all. Please enjoying pictures.

EDIT OKAY NEVERMIND for some reason blogger refuses to accept my photos
I'll figure something out
YOU WILL HAVE PHOTOS

4 comments:

minimill said...

yo, burgers with a fried egg on top are the best

and keep 'em pearly

JCotton said...

What other meats go on a Sasebo burger? Sounds delicious

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Evan said...

You got a hug!